Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Shanghai Sights and off to Beijing!

 On Friday we went to the Oriental Pearl Tower!  I'm pretty sure it is a radio tower, um...probably should know that by now, but it really makes no difference to me!  I think it is cool no matter what!
 So of course we needed to go to the top to see the city!  Wish we would have gone the day before, or after for that matter because both days were clearer than the one we went, but oh well still fun!
 We are on the Pudong side of the Huangpu River and that is overlooking the Puxi side.  (East and West in Chinese)
 This was Cambry's first trip to the top as well and she clearly is not one bit afraid of heights!  Made her mama nervous to be leaning on the window but she couldn't get enough!
 The "pop bottle opener" building is the Financial Tower.  Tallest currently in China and was the tallest in the world until Dubai had to go and build a bigger tower.  Now China of course can't be out done so they are currently building a taller building.  It will be right next to this one. Not sure exactly when it is expected to be finished, but I'm sure in the next year or so.  They build things very quickly here!
 Looking down below.  The round ring is a pedestrian walkway.  Below it is a round-about!  Love those! There is a HUGE mall off to the upper right corner.  I think 9 floors!  Many name brand shops!
 Pudong buildings.
 Yeah, I don't know if it is having kids or what, usually not afraid of heights at all but I just CANNOT do this!  Freaks me out!



 Then we headed over to the Jing'an Temple.  It is a huge gold temple that has some large buddas I think in it.  We didn't go in but the buildings look beautiful and looks very Chinese.  I really need to learn more of the history in this city.  I learned a ton in Beijing but I feel that I know nothing about Shanghai!  Maybe I should do some sightseeing tours.  Sounds funny to do in a city you live in!  Imagine doing that in Zeeland or Holland.  Here you have the tulip fields...

Afterwards, we headed back to pick up Reese from school and then packed for Beijing.  We ordered pizza in that night and Eric dropped us off for our flight at 8:30pm.  We flew out at 9:55 and arrived in Beijing at 12:05am. We only took a small carry-on and a backpack.  We thought that would be plenty.  Boy were we mistaken!

No comments:

Post a Comment