Monday, March 14, 2011

Reese-isms and more

On Saturday we wanted to go to the grocery store to get a few items like snacks for Reese and some fruit.  Reese says," aw mom, do we have to go to the stinky store?"  She refers to the Carrefoure as the "stinky store" because yes it does have some very strong smells in it!

We had to use the bathroom while we were there.  I realized that they might not have a "normal" potty there, but rather would have a "squater potty".  Those are the kinds of toilets they have in many public places and do not have the normal height toilets that we are used to.  We went into one and immediately she said that she didn't have to go anymore. " Mom, I'm not going over that, there is nowhere to sit.  No, I'm not doing that."  So, I guess she will either get really good at holding it or she will have to take the plunge and use one.  Some places like McDonald's will have regular ones but you have to be around a McDonald's or a hotel to find one.  Ahhh, gotta love China.  I know there is more things that she has come up with but I can't remember them right now.  I really have to start writing them down as soon as she says them or I remember them because they are quite funny!

It seems like everywhere we go, people always think that Cambry is a boy.  I have put her entirely in pink and they still say that "he" is so beautiful.  So while we were riding on the subway the other day and I was talking with a young lady that spoke very good english, she said the same thing about Cambry.  Ok....so Cambry was wearing a pink and white striped top/dress with ruffles on it, pink leggings, socks that had pearls sewn around it, and a bow in her hair.  She also had on a pink jacket.  Not much more pink I could put on the girl.  So, I asked her why she thought that she was a boy.  She said that maybe it was because of her hair.  Well hello, she's a baby, I can't put a wig of long hair on her.  So ok she has short hair, but what about the pink clothes? I asked if they put boys here in pink clothes.  She said that sometimes they do!  Well...ok then, maybe it isn't my problem.  I can't do more than that right?  So I asked her what she thought I could do that would make her look more like a girl.  She told me maybe a hat?!?  Well...maybe I'll have to buy a hat.  Too funny!

I must say that it is starting to feel a little more like home.  The other day we were on  a subway and were headed to the busy shopping street, kind of like Michigan Avenue in downtown Chicago with all of the name brand stores, well we came upon a GAP!!   Boy did it make me feel like home!  Right next to it was an American Eagle that is opening this spring.  Not that I even shop at either of them that often, but it just reminded me of home!  ;)  Around the corner there was even a  SUBWAY restaurant, I'm telling you, it was a good day!

Many people have asked if we have felt any of the aftershocks of the earthquake in Japan, no we really haven't felt a thing.  We were in a restaurant Friday night and the glasses in the case started to shake, but the waiter just joked that it was an earthquake, I don't think it really was.  How awful for all of those people though.  It is definitely big news around here.

Reese is very excited because Eric is going today(Monday) to claim our shipment items from customs.  He hopes that it will get shipped to his work today and that he will be able to take a few items home with him tonight.  Number one on Reese's list is her build-a-bear teddy bear.  She has been waiting for her!  I can't wait for Cambry's exersaucer!  The little girl will have something to play with besides playing on the floor, which she really does love, but a little variety would be nice for her!  Tomorrow we will go with Eric to work and pick out a few more things that we would like in our hotel and then take a taxi back!

Hope all is going well for you at home!  We miss you all but are starting to adjust!

3 comments:

  1. I take it that the trip has been going good?
    P.S. This is Amanda Foshaug

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey. This Ellie Flamboe from your last fifth grade class at Bentheim Elementary. Sounds like it is going good in China. It isn't going to good here in America. My dad, my little brother, and I got in a really bad car accident. I broke my collarbone in my right shoulder and sprained my left ankle. My brother Mason is fine but my dad sprained his neck and back. He is also really tall so he scraped his head on the sun visor. We had to go to the hospital but we got out within a few hours. By the time we got home it was 1:30. The people in the other car were fine. It was about 10:00 o'clock on a Saturday night and it was icy. They were coming the oppisite way and turned sideways. We hit them in the trunk area on the side. That was that. I hope things are going better for you. 03/14/11

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marcy,
    I'm sharing your storys with my daughter Raeanna who is 6 and is in Brenda's class. She thinks that is great that she is learning about a girl in china. She looked at your pictures and made the same comment that all the people have black hair like me. Raeanna also wants to know if she can send Reese some mail. If you can let me know if there is a address that I can send some to that would be great. We think of you guys and wish you the best. Shannon B

    ReplyDelete